Saturday, February 2, 2019

CAST RECORDINGS OF 2018: A PERSONAL LOOK

In 2018, between cast recordings and movie/television musicals soundtracks, I counted 59 releases. Of course, I didn’t listen to all of them, but I only missed a few.

Before crucifying me for my choices, let me confess that I love the traditional Broadway sound and I have strong difficulties to enjoy other music styles. So, everything that sounds like rock country or folk hardly have a chance to catch my narrow-minded ears. In order to get an idea, take a look at my 20 FAVORITE SCORES of all time.

Without further delays, here are my choices. First, the “Jorge’s Place Awards” and then my “Top Twelve" recordings of 2018, in preference order and not including reissues.

If you like this, take a look at my choices of 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.  

JORGE'S PLACE AWARDS 2018




TOP TWELVE CAST RECORDINGS OF 2018





4 comments:

  1. Of your top twelve, I have only heard three (Mary Poppins Returns, Something for the Boys, and The Prom), but they would make my top twelve for this year also. Something for the Boys might have made my all-time list, but I thought the casting of the Merman role was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I agree with you, the Merman role was miscast for this recording.

      Delete
  2. Of your top twelve I respectfully disagree with several:

    Brigadoon--McGlinn complete recording is far superior. Only Keli O'Hara is first rate

    Wonderful Town--Rattle's conducting is so idiosyncratic that it makes all of his versions hard on my sensibilities. I can stand Angel version because of its superior cast, but this one doesn't even have that going for it. First choice for me one of the Rosalind Russell versions followed by Jay Records recording with Donna Murphy as a possible additional choice.

    Hello Again as a CD gets lost in a morass of artificially produced sound. I'll stick to the OBC, much easier to follow.

    Something for the Boys--brought down by less than ideal casting in the female roles, but oh my those orchestrations.

    Mary Poppins Returns--Can't really comment, a close friend has a major role, but I find the score a guilty pleasure.

    The rest I agree with you have lasting value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fro visiting my blog. Well, Donna Murphy's WONDERFUL TOWN is my favorite recording of that show and I think Merman's role in the new recording of SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS was miscast. I confess, that for me, the best thing of the BRIGADOON is Stephanie J. Block.

      Delete