Sunday, January 14, 2024

CAST RECORDINGS OF 2023: A PERSONAL LOOK















This year I decided to take some liberties with my choice for best song, so it’s not really from a musical, but from a “song-only” recording with which I fell in love, “Start with a Bang”. I also decided to create a new award, “Best Discovery”, which is attributed to a score that has been released in a previous year but I only discovered it later, or a score that I rediscovered; THE VIOLET HOUR is the first winner of that award.

For my joy, in 2023 a few happy new scores in the traditional Broadway style were released, and it was about time for that to happen. The world is becoming too gloomy with wars happening everywhere, people seeing their rights revoked, corruption/dictator politicians in high places and denialists trying to erase so many important things from the History of the World. So, we all need happy musicals like SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE BIG TIME or the delicious second season of SCHIMAGADOON!

And now my choices among the 79 (more or less) new Musical recordings released in 2023 that I listened to. In order to get an idea of my Musical tastes take a look at my 20 FAVORITE SCORES of all time.

First, the “Jorge’s Place Awards”; then my “Top Twelve” new recordings of 2023, in alphabetical order and not including reissues.

If you like this, take a look at my choices of 2022202120202019, 2018, 201720162015, 20142013 and 2012.



















MY TOP TWELVE RECORDINGS OF 2022 (in alphabetical order)




3 comments:

  1. how can I get standing at the edge of the sky cd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including NYNY on your list. Hope you were able to get a physical copy of the CD - the phots/packaging is really beautiful
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time listening to the NYNY cast recording. I live in Lisbon, Portugal, so it's easy for me to buy the digital releases instead of the physical CDs; so I don't have a physical copy of this or other recent cast recordings. Thanks for the visit and for your feedback,

      Delete