Sunday, December 25, 2011

CD OF THE WEEK: WHITE CHRISTMAS

What a delight it is to put a CD playing and feel transported to a magic world of song and dance. That’s what happens to me each time I play this cast recording.

One of the great joys of it is the fact that, besides the classic songs, there’s a couple of lesser known (I think I never heard them before) Berlin tunes and both are delightful; I’m talking about “Love and the Weather” and “Falling Out of Love Can Be Fun”. As for the classics, the terrific cast and the new orchestrations by Larry Blank give them new life and the likes of, among others, “Snow”, “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm”, “Blue Skies” and “Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep” sound better than ever.

For me the highlight is the contagious “I Love a Piano”. A terrific musical number that will put you tapping wherever you are.

Brian d’Arcy James, in the Bing Crosby role, shows why is one of the best leading actors of his generation and Anastasia Barzee, in the Rosemary Clooney role, is a true revelation. The singing & dancing team of Jeffry Denman and Meredith Patterson is a perfect match and the veteran Karen Morrow gives her all in “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy”.

This is a fantastic cast recording and a must in every musical fan library. 




No comments:

Post a Comment