Sunday, March 20, 2016

MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS: A CD Review

Original London Cast – 2016 / Music by George Fenton & Simon Chamberlain and Lyrics by Don Black
Starring: Tracie Bennett, Ian Bartholomew, Emma Williams, Jamie Foreman, Robert Hands, Matthew Malthouse, Samuel Holmes, Katie Bernstein, Lizzy Connolly, Lauren Hood and Liz Ewing
Rate: 5 (from 1 to 10) / Photos by Paul Coltas

Review: When I saw the 2005 movie starring Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins I fell in love with it instantly and I could easily imagine it as a stage musical. So, when I heard that it had been adapted to the stage I wasn’t surprise and, in my mind, I imagined a brand new exciting old fashion score.

What I got is a lukewarm score, pleasant to the ears but without great songs of the kind that lingers on our heads (Jerry Herman would be perfect for this material). I believe it may work better on stage, but in this recording I miss some excitement. But like I said it’s pleasant, has melodious tunes, plus most of the songs have a sense of the period the action takes place, the 30/40s. For me, the best tracks are the beautiful “What a Waste of a Moon”, the romantic “Now is Not the Time”, the funny “Women at War – Medley” and Tracie Bennett leading the company with the true showtune “Anything But Young”. On the other hand, “Innocent Soldier” seems musically out of place (it remind me of MISS SAIGON) and so does the emotional “If Mountains Were Easy to Climb”, sung strongly by Emma Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment