Sunday, March 20, 2016

BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM: A CD Review

Original London Cast – 2015 / Music by Howard Goodall and Lyrics by Charles Hart
Starring: Natalie Dew, Lauren Samuels, Jamie Campbell Bower, Sophie-Louise Dann, Preeya Kalidas, Jamal Andréas, Tony Jayawardena, Natasha Jayetileke, Raj Bajaj, Irvine Iqbal and Sohm Kapila
Rate: 2 (from 1 to 10) / Photos by Ellie Kurttz

Review: This is one of those movies that I never imagined would be transform into a musical, but it did. I was curious about it and I expected a funny exciting Bollywood score, but Howard Goodall & Charles Hart wrote a pop score, heavy on ballads and with a touch or two of Bollywood.

This is the kind of score that doesn’t appeal to me, but I know there’s a huge audience for this kind of music. Some of the songs, like for example “People Like Us”, are kind of monotonous; while others (“The Wedding & Football Final”) are too loud for my taste and others (“Glorious!”) reminded me of the Eurovision Song Contest. There are a couple of songs, that although sound too much alike, are for me the best ones of the score, “More Fool Me” and “First Touch”.

I don’t have anything to complain about the cast, because everyone has good singing voices. But this kind of music is too far away from what I love and I just wish there was more fun to enjoy in this score.


No comments:

Post a Comment