Monday, October 16, 2017

IN FULL SWING: A CD Review

Easy listening – 2017 / Music and lyrics by various
Singers: Seth MacFarlane, Norah Jones, Elizabeth Gillies
Rate: 10 (from 1 to 10) 

Review: Seth MacFarlane is back and once again he gives us a highly pleasant album of fabulous movie and show tunes. Who can ask for anything more.

This IN FULL SWING begins with one of my all-time favorite songs, “The First Time It Happens”, written by Joe Raposo for THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER. Later, MacFarlane delivers another of my favorites, “I Like Myself” written by André Previn and Betty Comden & Adolph Green for IT’S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER. As you can see by this two songs, this standards album, with fabulous lively arrangements by Joel McNeely, doesn’t rely only on well-known songs.

It’s a pleasure to listen MacFarlane strong, sweet velvet voice singing classics like “Almost Like Being in Love”, “Isn’t This is a Lovely Day” or “Have You Met Miss Jones?”. But is even better when he delivers less known songs like “That Face”, “If I Had a Talking Picture of You” (a terrific duet with Norah Jones), “You Coulnd’t Be Cuter”, “You Can’t Love ‘Em All”, “A Kiss or Two” and “But Beautiful”. This exciting recording ends with a terrific duet between MacFarlane and Elizabeth Gillies, “My Buick, My Love and I” by Jack Brooks & Frank Skinner.

This is one of the best albums I listened to this year and I can only say one thing, don’t miss it.  You’re in for almost 50 minutes of pure joy and entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment